Memorial Day Weekend Features Seven Stakes Including Gold Cup at Santa Anita
Santa Anita will offer a nine-race card Saturday to kick off the Memorial Day Weekend, including the $500,000 Grade I Gold Cup. The Gold Cup, formerly known as the Hollywood Gold Cup before Hollywood Park closed in 2013 and the race was transferred to Santa Anita, drew a field of nine. The other three graded stakes on the card — the $300,000 Grade I Gamely Stakes, the $200,000 Grade II Monrovia Stakes and the $150,000 Grade III Daytona Stakes.
Santa Anita’s 49-day spring-summer meet continues through July 4 with racing Thursday through Sunday plus Monday of Memorial Day. Along with the two Grade I races this weekend with the Gold Cup and Gamely Stakes, two additional Grade I races are set for June 3 with the $400,000 Shoemaker Mile and $400,000 Beholder Mile.
The jockey and trainer titles are both a 3-man race with the leaders listed below. Leading jockey Flavien Prat will ride the favorite Midnight Storm for trainer Phil D’Amato in the Gold Cup at Santa Anita Saturday. Rafael Bejarano will be aboard Cupid for trainer Bob Baffert.
In the Gamely Stakes, Irad Ortiz, Jr. rides the favorite Lady Eli for trainer Chad Brown. Pratt rides the second choice Avenge trained by Richard Mandella while Bejarano will try to lead Mokat to the wire first for trainer Richard Baltas.
SANTA ANITA LEADERS
Through Thursday, May 25
JOCKEYS / WINS
Flavien Prat / 23
Rafael Bejarano / 20
Joe Talamo / 20
Tyler Baze / 13
Tiago Pereira / 11
Evin Roman / 11
TRAINERS / WINS
Peter Miller / 18
Richard Baltas / 16
Philip D’Amato / 14
Bob Baffert / 10
Doug O’Neill / 9
- $500,000 Grade I Gold Cup at Santa Anita, 3-year-olds and up, 1 1/4 miles
- $300,000 Grade I Gamely Stakes, 3-year-olds and up, fillies and mares, 1 1/8 miles (turf)
- $200,000 Grade II Monrovia Stakes, 3-year-olds and up, fillies and mares, 6 1/2 furlongs (turf)
- $150,000 Grade III Daytona Stakes, 3-year-olds and up, 6 1/2 furlongs (turf)
- $200,000 Grade II Charles Whittingham Stakes, 3-year-olds and up, 1 1/4 miles (turf)
- $200,000 Snow Chief Stakes, 3-year-olds bred in CA, 1 1/8 miles (turf)
- $200,000 Melair Stakes, 3-year-old fillies bred in CA, 1 1/16 miles