A potentially historic winter storm barrelling up and down the eastern seaboard has forced several horse race cancellations at different tracks. The impending blizzard has been described by weather experts as “potentially paralyzing”, and is even stretching south to the parts of the United States that don’t usually see snow. If you’re planning on heading out to a track despite the weather conditions this weekend, it’s a good idea to check with your local venue to see if it’s still open for any type of business.
Various tracks are closing their Friday operations, with some pushing to keep their Saturday schedule intact. It’s obvious that each administration will have to force horse race cancellations if conditions are less than safe for the horses, horsemen and any guests considering travel to the track.
Below is a list of some of the known horse race cancellations this weekend. Again, as the weekend progresses, check locally and nationally to see if the situation has changed. Stay safe and warm in the meantime.
The state of Florida has not announced any horse race cancellations as of this moment, so the H. Allen Jerkens Stakes at Gulfstream should proceed as planned.
- Hollywood Casino at Charles Town Races in West Virginia has cancelled its live racing schedule for the weekend.
- Oaklawn Park in Arkansas approved the in-house vote to close the track for Friday, but will look to re-open on Saturday for the American Beauty Stakes.
- Turfway Park just outside of Cincinnati, Ohio has also announced live horse race cancellations through the weekend, but will offer simulcast for its patrons.
- Laurel Park in Maryland will expereince race cancellations for the weekend, but remained optimistic that Friday’s schedule would still be able to run as planned.
- Penn National Race Course in Pennsylvania approved horse race cancellations for their Friday card, and the rest of their weekend is in limbo as well.
- Triple Crown host Churchill Downs will not be hosting simulcast wagering this Friday, January 22nd. Pimlico Race Course will be closed on Saturday, January 23rd and could re-open for Sunday.